Treatments are often unavailable for rare disease patients, especially in low-and-middle-income Countries. Reasons for this include lack of financial support for therapies and onerous regulatory requirements for approval of drugs. Other barriers include lack of reimbursement, administrative infrastructure, and knowledge about diagnosis and drug treatment options. The goal of leaving no one behind requires that access to treatments be available for rare disease patients – this Working Group addresses that goal.
- Create a list of standard-of-care products for rare diseases and make the list available to countries throughout the world. The list should be updated periodically.
- To identify the barriers to accessing rare disease drugs, particularly in low-and-middle income populations.
Plans and timeline
- Formation of the Working Group and kick-off of discussions via teleconferences (Q1 2020).
- Mapping of existing orphan drug, rare disease drug lists; discussion on the specifics (Q2-Q4 2020)
- Produce a White Paper on Rare Disease Treatment Access issues in late 2020.